Sunday, November 14, 2010

Guest Review: Caleb J. Ross reviewed by Kristin Fouquet

Caleb J. Ross. Charactered Pieces. Outsider Writers Press, 2009. Fiction. 63 pages. ISBN: 978-1-59948-228-6

This collection of stories is one of the best I’ve read in a long time. The short form has always been my preference. I admire when a writer can take us immediately in and then release us in short duration. When it works, it is exhilarating. Caleb J. Ross delivers this.

The stories in Charactered Pieces are dark, sometimes disturbing, and anxious. I found a theme of parental angst stream through many of them. It was enjoyable to spend some time in the mind of Ross, but in the end, it was more personal. I believe a story is successful when you discover something about yourself after reading it. I highly recommend this collection.

Kristin Fouquet, author of Twenty Stories (Rank Stranger Press, 2009)
Kristin's website is Le Salon

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you!

Stan D. said...

Great choice!

Lynn Alexander said...

"Charactered Pieces" really stands out, it was a great read and I am glad people are still talking about it. Also nice to see Kristin doing reviews!

(And happy belated, Karen!)